- Mar 9, 2023
POST-SEASON MAINTENANCE: INSPECTING YOUR HARNESS SYSTEM
With another deer hunting season in the books, now’s the time when stands start to get taken down and put in storage while you eagerly await next fall. As you follow your checklist for off-season maintenance, this is the perfect opportunity to inspect a critical treestand lifeline–your Full-Body Fall Arrest Harness System (FBFAHS). Here’s a guide:
Your FBFAHS must be discarded immediately and replaced if:
- You have arrested a fall in it, or it’s been subjected to any type of shock loading for which it was not designed.
- You see any signs of fraying, rips, tears, cuts, corrosion, wear, or any other type of damage.
Check the dates:
- Always record when your harness system was purchased AND register it with us! Be sure to keep your sales receipt as proof of purchase. Each piece of your harness system will have a manufacturing date printed clearly on the label. Knowing when your gear expires is key to ensuring your safety.
EXPIRATION GUIDE FOR HARNESSES:
- If you record the purchase date on the label AND register the product with proof of purchase, discard your harness after 5 years from that purchase date.
- If you don’t know/can’t remember when you purchased OR don’t register the product with proof of purchase, the expiration date is 5 years or less from its printed manufacturing date.
For example, let’s say you bought a new Pro Safety Harness in August 2022 that had a manufacturing date of October 2021.
- If you recorded on the harness label that it was purchased in August 2022 AND registered it with proof of purchase, barring any damage or fall event, you can use that harness through August 2027.
- If the purchase date is unknown OR you fail to register the product with proof of purchase, barring any damage or fall event, you can use that harness through October 2026.
EXPIRATION GUIDE FOR SAFETY LINES/TETHERS:
The same thought process applies to the Tether Strap and Lineman’s Belt (if applicable) included with the purchase of our stands, our 8 ft. Lineman’s Rope, and our 30 ft. Safety Line:
- For the basic FBFAHS included with the purchase of one of our stands:
- The Lineman’s Belt and Tether Strap must be discarded after 2 years from your purchase date. If that purchase date is unknown, or if you haven’t registered the product with proof of purchase, the expiration date is 2 years or less from the printed manufacturing date.
- For our 8 ft. Lineman’s Rope (included with our Pro and Sport Safety Harnesses) and 30 ft. Safety Line:
- These must be discarded after 3 years from your purchase date. If that purchase date is unknown, or if you haven’t registered the product with proof of purchase, the expiration date is 3 years or less from its printed manufacturing date.
EXPIRATION GUIDE FOR CARABINERS:
- Replace your carabiners every 2 years (or sooner if subjected to a fall or if any damage is present). Types of damage include any cracking or corrosion, broken springs, broken locking mechanism, excessive wear to the coating, damaged or worn threads, etc.
Here at Summit, we wish all of our hunters success throughout the season, but the most important thing is treestand safety. Always follow the instructions in each product’s manual. Have questions about your stand or gear? Contact us!